Saturday, February 7, 2009

Overheard Comment...

February 7th, 2009

I overheard a couple of older ladies talking, leaving the classroom that I was going into for my night class this past week. They were discussing various topics related to marriage, which inevitably led to a discussion on divorce, with one woman declaring that all couples should be ready for divorce at any time, especially when first entering into a marriage. She quoted the "fact" that 50% of marriages end in divorce, and proceeded to berate women who see any meaning in the white dress, solemn procession down the aisle, etc., as living in a fairytale. Well.

I know it's good to be cautious when entering into any relationship. It's wise to ask God's guidance throughout, trusting in His providence to steer a relationship in the paths He would set out for it. But I think preparing for the almost "inevitability" of divorce is a sad, misguided, and wrong thing to do. The person you decide to marry, should be the person you decide to marry FOR LIFE. That's the promise you enter into. Barring abuse or infidelity, that is the promise you need to keep.

So, needless to say, I was saddened by this woman's view on the covenant of marriage. This topic has been on my mind lately, as I have just discovered http://www.boundless.org/ - which is a Focus on the Family site for "young adults" (haha)... it's got some really great articles. You should check it out. Seriously.

Well, I guess I better go, Mark's coming to pick me up soon and I'm ready! Ahhh!

With lots of confetti and bubbles,
Tiffany

0 comments: